I finally got out in a nice open space to fly the Delorean, unfortunately we had a video camera malfunction so there isn't any lengthy footage worth showing. I do however have these really nice pictures taken by a friend.
First a quick flight with the "top off" to get the feel of it.
Feels pretty good, well balanced and plenty of power.
Lets try it with the body on, I can hear the theme in my head as I take flight.
All was going well, until I got a little carried away. Im going to blame the magnets in the front that were holding the body on, they where interfering with the Flux Capacitor. That or they made the car front heavy.
What the reason, this happened....
The photos look a lots worse than it really was, she will soon be up in the air again,
Another quick flight test to tweak some settings before I put the the finished body on. Better to get it right now to try to avoid destroying it on its maiden flight.
The clear props are here and I needed an easy way to cut them down to size. At first, I used the Prop Chopper I made a while ago but the 4 inch cut down was a little too small, I want to squeeze as much out of these as possible. Also, the old Prop Chopper requires a Dremel style craft drill which isn't always handy when in a field.
The new Prop Chopper is a guide that holds the prop in place and supports the prop while you cut it with a pair of scissors.
Working on the painting as and when I can, slowly getting there. I need to print one new tire as I've somehow managed to lose one.
It took me a while but I've also managed to find some clear props, just waiting for them to arrive. They cost too much for what they are and will need cutting down to fit but I think it will be worth it to help with the, "Not seeing them"
To get the brushed steel look the DeLorean is famous for I thought I would have a go at painting it with a .....brush. My paint of choice is Crafter's Acrylic Paint called Silver Morning.
Here is a video of the first coat, I think it's going to work and will need 2 or 3 coats.
The windows are going to be tinted so we don't see the inside, and it's not cheating because they did that on the film for some of the flying shots.
Over the last couple of evenings, I finished the wiring and setup the flight controller and Taranis. I'm using Cleanflight and even though the rates have not been tuned in any way I thought I would have a nice and not safe test flight in my very messy workshop.
After a week away for my day job, I'm glad to be back in the country and able to spend some time in the workshop. After doing some cleaning so I could find my workbench I continued on the wiring, lots of cutting of wires and soldering. Every gram counts.
This evening I started assembling the printed parts to the base of the model. The flight controller support fits nicely but I may change the design a bit and lose the groove that I've put in there, that way a standard flight controller can be used as well.
The back side of the car has a long hole in it for mounting to a display stand, this is perfect for running the motor wires through, I copied this towards the front for the front wires.
I've also placed the ESC's in the frame for fit, plenty of room, I'll also need to squeeze the receiver in there.
I would like to be able to place the lipo battery in the center of the Delorean along with the flight controller. On the bottom part of the kit there are 4 conveniently placed holes so I thought I may as use them. The idea is this 3D printed frame will not only hold the flight controller over the lipo, but also stop the lipo from sliding around.
Each print took about 90 minutes to print, the motor holes lined up and they slid into place as planned. The bolts to hold the wheel motor mounts in place fit but aren't pretty, they will do for now but I'm going to look for a replacement. Next up I need to design a way of holding the flight controller and lipo battery in place.