Sometimes you turn your back on your printer for 30 minutes and it gets a mind of it's old and decides to be all arty.
Or maybe I forgot to turn the heated bed on!
This was supposed to be part of his center leg.
Thats right, the little fella has his skirt all printed out and glued together.
I've also printed out the top ring and rear panels, more gluing to come.
Thats right, it's been 19 days since my last R2D2 update and I'm sorry.
I have a good excuse, I took a vacation with my family :)
But I'm right back on it, I've gone through 3 more rolls on PLA in the last 8 evenings printing the top ring and the skirt of R2's main body.
Another quick update, printing and gluing, gluing and printing. Not very exciting to read I know but these things take time and at least it shows that progress is being made.
52 of the 65 Parts of the body have now been printed out and cleaned up so I've now started gluing it together. In these pictures you can see rings 1 and 2 assembled, I'll start gluing ring 3 in the evenings this week.
While a had small delay waiting for some more filament to arrive I worked on the Flying DeLorean, also a new version of the printable R2D2 body was released by the wonderful Michael Baddeley over on Thingiverse. This new version is so much better I made the tough decision to scrap the 2 months of evenings I've already put in and started again.
The new version is component based and much stronger, it's made up of 65 print files and I can print around 1 part each evening and a couple extras on the weekend. At the time of writing this, I'm almost a quarter of the way through printing.
I've spent the last couple of weeks worth of evenings cleaning up the 3D printed parts, concentrating on the uprights. From now on I'm going to clean them parts up as I go. I don't have enough clamps to glue each section together so I'll do one a night this week while cleaning up the cross sections.
As there are no instructions labeling is a must as it helps with the assembling of this jigsaw puzzle.
As I'm using PLA to build this Droid epoxy is my glue of choice, lots of glue and clamps later.....
Small update today. This evening I've cleaned up and glued the first ring/layer together, tomorrow I will add the second layer.
I've also switched from a 0.4mm nozzle over to a 0.8mm nozzle on the 3D printer which has sped up the printing times by almost half. Wish I'd thought of that sooner, but thats how these things go.
I've been printing 1 or 2 parts every evening and more if possible on the weekends. I don't like leaving the printer running when I'm not around so it's taking longer than I would like, but safety first.
I'm well over half way and I've enough parts to start gluing some bits together so I'm going to start cleaning them up and preparing them
I thought I would start with the main body rather than the head. I figured it's better to learn on the largest part as any errors would be easier to hide. Also I'm not sure if I'm going to go with R2D2's head or another droid. The files I'm using for the body are on thingiverse by mrbaddeley and based on the design published by James Bruton. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1477908
I'm not going to post a picture every time a part is printed as there are 85+ parts at around 3-4 hours each. See you in a month or so ;)
Many people before me have built R2D2 and other R2 units. I wanted a big 3D print project so I thought why not.
The printable R2D2 body that you see me making here was released by the wonderful Michael Baddeley over on Thingiverse.
I support Mr Baddeley on Patreon, check him out.
I'm also on Patreon and If you would like to support me you can do so here.